Sunday, November 17, 2013

Totally unrelated…

As part of my job, I often have to drive through Atlanta. And when I do, I listen to the local news station so I’ll know what part of 285 has the inevitable daily truck wreck or car fire. The other day I heard two news stories that to many people would have been completely unrelated. The first was for a “sleep in” being held at Covenant House. Covenant House is an organization devoted to helping homeless teens, and they were having the “sleep in” to bring attention to the fact that some nights, upwards off 600 teens in the Atlanta area are sleeping on the streets. Covenant House currently has a facility with 35 beds, but just found a new location that will let them expand to around 60 beds. A few minutes later in the news, was a story about the new stadium being built for the Atlanta Braves. And how the county was going to pay half the cost for the new stadium. $300million dollars. Of tax payer money, to build a stadium for a privately owned sports franchise. Now, any other type business would have to borrow money, or sale stock to raise money for expansion, or new facilities. Let’s say I want to open up The Samurai Sushi Chef restaurant and bait shop in beautiful ty ty Georgia, and I approached the city council and suggested to them they pay half the cost of the building and supplies. I would be laughed right out of the town hall. But somehow, this is an ok concept for sports teams. Without asking the taxpayers if they want their tax dollars spent that way. Instead of, say, school improvements. Hiring teachers. Improved utilities. Or even just a warm, dry and safe place for homeless teens to sleep at night.

 



No comments:

Post a Comment